Saturday, June 19, 2004

Chapter Two - My first Wife...

After failing to take the TASP test during the Christmas break of '90-'91 (I over slept because I drank too much the night before), I was prohibited from returning for the spring semester at UNT.  So that spring, I got a couple of jobs, bought a VW Beetle, taught myself how to play guitar, and began working for a Catholic retreat for youth.  Upon my return to UNT, I decided that majoring in Trombone was not my thing, so I switched to Math and physics and chemistry.  During this time, I met Matt Gibbins (still one of my dearest friends to date) and we decided to start a band, 'ting' since I was picking up guitar pretty quickly.  We actually didn't do too bad.  We stayed together for about 5 years.  I dumped my entire life into this band, and in fact, I someimtes call ting my first wife.  Everything I did, I did for the band.  I even justified my drug use as a means for creativity, which by the way, was gaining momentum... the use more than the creativity.  I kept it as secret as possible, mind you, but this became difficult as I missed a gig a Rick's Place one time since I was in the Highland Park Jail for three days.  My life was a complete mess.  This gave cause for the guys in the band to question my faith.  They continually kept hammering me with questions about being Catholic since they were not.  This was tough.  I had the band, yes, but I (for the first time in my life) felt really alone.  Getting high helped with that.  It kept me focused on my wife, and our first CD, which completely consumed me.  Then Matt, wanting the band to change toward a Christian direction, while Dave and I did not, stated we should break up the band.  This came just weeks before our CD would be complete........ I felt as if I had been shot.  I had yet to experience that kind of pain...  Matt killed my 1st wife...  So, I moved to Dallas and true depression sank in.  Completely alone...  I did nothing but wait tables, drink and be stoned.  alone...  depressed...

No comments: