Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year Resolutions...

Jonathan Edwards has some great ones. I am stealing from him while adding a couple of my own... (placing them in an order that seems most beneficial to me.)

Resolved, To study scriptures so steadily, constantly, and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive, myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

Resolved, That I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God' s glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence. Resolved, to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved, to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many soever, and how great soever.

Resolved, To, in accordance with Paul's first letter to the Corinthians (9:27), buffet my body, and make it my slave, through exercise and the denial of self, to prove to myself that I, through the power of the Holy Spirit, am able to overcome my flesh and persevere, striving for holiness, knowing I will never attain it completely in this world.

Resolved, When I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.

Resolved, To think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death.

Resolved, Never, henceforward, till I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God's.

Resolved, To be the best husband to Sarrah that I can be, in thought, action, and most importantly, prayer, to continually lift her up, that God may continue to use her as an instrument, not only in my own life, but in the lives of all whom she comes in contact with.

Resolved, Very much to exercise myself in this, all my life long, viz. with the greatest openness, of which I am capable of, to declare my ways to God, and lay open my soul to him: all my sins, temptations, difficulties, sorrows, fears, hopes, desires, and every thing, and every circumstance.

Resolved, To inquire every night, as I am going to bed, wherein I have been negligent,- what sin I have committed,-and wherein I have denied myself;-also at the end of every week, month and year.

Resolved, If ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.

1 comment:

Jonathan Dodson said...

sorry it took so long to follow up your last comment on Israel..but i just did it!